Our buddy Jackson Gonda wrote an awesome blog about a potential customer who basically lost an event due to web conferencing capacity issues. Once the initial shock passed, our team started discussing if it was possible for companies to outgrow web conferencing. The team actually made some pretty interesting points. Our CEO even went on record saying he LOVED GoTo Meeting! Well, he didn’t really say that, but you get the point he was trying to make. We have continued to discuss this over the last few weeks and the question keeps popping up. Is it possible to outgrow web conferencing? The answer is complicated, but I really do think it is possible. Allow me to explain!
Web Conferencing can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Primarily, it has become a collaboration and presentation tool. And honestly, that version of “web conferencing” is great. If you need to show a PowerPoint presentation or review a contract in real-time, web conferencing is awesome. However there comes a time in your business life when what you use on day one is not what will work on day 1000. You grow as an employee, and you grow as a company. The level of sophistication in which you operate day to day increases drastically. Are you expected to use the same tools to do a more complicated job? Probably not. A true “event” around your big idea is what you need.
I realize this can be a little dramatic, but we started to talk about this in the tone of the Big Ideas conversations we have been having. Day 1 of an idea is its inception. The idea begins and needs to be shared on a scale that is, well, small. It needs eyes on it. The idea needs to be validated a few times before the next step. As the idea grows into a BIG IDEA, different tools are needed across the board to ensure the idea is nurtured appropriately. You go from the whiteboard to project tools like Trello and Basecamp. You go outside your department and gather feedback from Product, Marketing, Engineering, and Sales. You start to really visualize the scope of the idea and the impact it could have. Then, your idea is not even an idea anymore. It’s a purpose. It’s a solution. It has scale and scope to it. The world needs to start to provide feedback so you can really understand if the impact is what you visualize. Can you see it? The growth of the simple idea into the next big thing? It’s awesome! So the question becomes, did you outgrow some of the tools you used when it was just “the idea”? My guess is you did.
So what can you do to make sure your big ideas have the right platform. Well, here are a few quick ideas:
- Make sure you have a “partner” and not a “vendor”. Out of the box solutions are great. But do you really want that? Ask yourself, is this the IDEAL fit for my big idea event? And then, is the company or solution I am working with a good fit for that idea?
- Understand what else is out there. There is a lot. Lighthouse has a lot to offer, but we are the first to admit we are not the right fit for everyone. Review solutions versus products.
- Think about the results (and the impact) that you want to have. I would assume you want the best possible results for this event. You want people to be talking about your big idea. You will not settle for “just good enough“
As I said, this can be a little dramatic, but think about it for a moment. That tool you used to share the original concept is NOT the same solution you need to drive home the purpose of this big idea. Lighthouse Conferencing is truly invested in learning about your big ideas, then finding the right solution to promote discussion, feedback, and even criticism. Web Conferencing, while great for some of the early interactions around your idea, can often be the “training wheels” when it comes to the evolution and growth of your BIG IDEA. Have you ever felt like traditional Web Conferencing did not capture the scope of the idea you presenting or learning about? Leave us a note in the comments below.
Has your idea outgrown Web Conferencing? Let’s talk about what your Big Idea deserves!
- How to Ace a Virtual Job Fair - October 13, 2016
- Reservationless Conferencing…it still works! - September 22, 2016
- So You Have Outgrown Web Conferencing…What’s Next? - August 4, 2016
- It’s About Our Style - August 3, 2016
- Have You Outgrown Web Conferencing? - July 22, 2016
- We Have A New Website! - July 20, 2016
- I Don’t Like Vegas (for Business Events) - July 7, 2016
- Meeting Agenda…How We Do It! - July 7, 2016
- Meetings…Keeping them On Track! - June 27, 2016
- Let’s Get Dialed on Virtual Events - June 16, 2016