“I don’t know what I don’t know yet”… and the complimentary “I only know what I know” — were the favorite catch phrases of a respected colleague from a previous company. Most of the time when he would utter those phrases I knew what he meant but it’s another thing to really experience the idea that we don’t know everything about our chosen area of expertise.
Since the onset of my career I’ve been using Salesforce.com. I believe in the service, I swear by the service. I’ve been in flat out shouting matches in boardrooms with someone trying to cut my Salesforce.com budget. I’ve left great jobs on the condition that Salesforce.com would be implemented and supported. So, you’d think that I’d know a little something about Salesforce.com. Well, today I found out, there’s a ton I don’t know about Salesforce.com. I didn’t know this until I was shown a different way to leverage the tool that was completely new to me. It literally blew my mind. It made me realize I didn’t really know how to utilize Salesforce.com to it’s full potential. More importantly, if someone hadn’t shown me what I was missing, I would have never have known and wouldn’t have been the wiser. For the record, I believe these new insights will have a dramatic positive impact on my business. Isn’t that what every businessperson is looking for?
Think about that for a second — I could have gone the rest of my career without making big improvements in my business with a tool I already paid for and used every day! Like I said, it blew my mind. Today’s experience also reminded me that Salesforce.com is just a tool. All the features and functionality had been there all along but I didn’t know how to leverage them. And without the proper utilization of your tools you’re coming up short on your most important business processes.
I also find this to be true with most users of webconferencing. Everyone has audio and webconferencing – it’s rare in today’s business climate to not be utilizing these tools. But are you getting the most from your sales reps who run demos day in day out? How do you know? How do you know if web demos are better than face to face meetings? Are your marketing webinars creating quality leads? What if you could increase the amount of quality leads you get from your webinars by 5%, 15%, or even 50% would that help drive your business forward?
As my colleague would often say at this point… You only know what you know and don’t know what you don’t know yet. Isn’t it time you found out what you’re missing?
- Happy Holidays from Lighthouse Conferencing! - December 21, 2016
- Video or audio? Live or part-recorded? Time for a teleconference tune-up – IR Magazine - September 1, 2016
- How Does Lighthouse Conferencing Make Your Big Ideas Shine? - May 16, 2016
- The Secret to Big Ideas - May 12, 2016
- Why It’s Great that You Already Have a Conferencing Provider - May 4, 2016
- Why We Love to Hear That You Already Have Citrix GoToMeeting - May 4, 2016
- Building a Virtual Event is Like Building a House - April 11, 2016
- Team Collaboration: Reducing “Noise” in Your Company Inbox - April 4, 2016
- Tips for a successful earnings call - January 11, 2016
- Say Goodbye to Bad Meetings - January 8, 2016