I’m not a big believer in titles. Let me rephrase that, I really don’t like titles. During my career I’ve worked with my fair share of important sounding people who added little value to the bottom line. Conversely, I’ve worked with many people who add all the value to a company yet have very common or low ranking titles. Ironically we put quite a bit of thought into the titles we have at Lighthouse Conferencing — they actually have meaning and aren’t designed as status symbols or employee rewards. So how are our employee titles different? Take my title as an example. At least once a day someone asks me “What’s a Chief Meeting Officer?” or “Why is your title Chief Meeting Officer?” My reply is always the same: “It’s simple – Lighthouse Conferencing is focused solely on our customers’ meetings and meeting experience. I have the privilege of overseeing and guiding the company thus I am laser focused on our customers’ meetings and meeting experiences. This makes me the Chief Meeting Officer. If I were the CEO that would mean I was focussed on being an executive and that isn’t what we’re about.”
The rest of our team have titles that are similar and fall into line with our meeting focus. At Lighthouse, all that matters to us is your meetings. We know that if we always put our customers and their meetings first everything else will fall into place. Can your conferencing provider say that day in, day out?
I’ve come full circle on the idea of titles. When used appropriately they say a lot about a company and what’s important to them. Come to think of it, I really dig my title because it says exactly what I’m passionate about…your meetings.
- Happy Holidays from Lighthouse Conferencing! - December 21, 2016
- Video or audio? Live or part-recorded? Time for a teleconference tune-up – IR Magazine - September 1, 2016
- How Does Lighthouse Conferencing Make Your Big Ideas Shine? - May 16, 2016
- The Secret to Big Ideas - May 12, 2016
- Why It’s Great that You Already Have a Conferencing Provider - May 4, 2016
- Why We Love to Hear That You Already Have Citrix GoToMeeting - May 4, 2016
- Building a Virtual Event is Like Building a House - April 11, 2016
- Team Collaboration: Reducing “Noise” in Your Company Inbox - April 4, 2016
- Tips for a successful earnings call - January 11, 2016
- Say Goodbye to Bad Meetings - January 8, 2016