Build a Pencil Army
I was talking with one of our non-profit customers the other day and asked them the secret to the incredible membership growth they were experiencing; The answer: “Build a Pencil Army”.
I was confused so my client offered to explain:
“Look, if I give a non-believer in our organization a pencil and say “go into battle against those with swords”, they’ll just give me a blank stare and say “it’s just a pencil” BUT, if I give a believer in our cause a pencil and say “go rush into a sword fight” they will rush into the fight AND WIN!”
To say I was impressed is an understatement, and to be clear, no one is really engaging in hand to hand combat here. But the metaphor works – and we all know that in associations the gap between budget and expectations is huge and the only way we can even begin to meet our goals is with membership pulling a majority of the weight.
Carrying on with the pencil theme I asked, “that all sounds great but how do you find the right people that will rush in with the pencil?”
My client replied; “It’s not easy, but it all comes down to mindshare and effective collaboration. We have a geographically dispersed membership all over the world, and as people increasingly turned out more emails and print mail, we looked to a global conference call service as the answer. Currently, we host weekly and monthly remote events using audio and web conferencing with international reach. With this form of reservationless conferencing, we discuss our wins, repeat our messaging and goals, and recognize those members who are making significant contributions to the cause. With these types of events we are able to broaden our reach and stay “top of mind” with our membership. As a result, we’re “top of mind”, and they believe in what we’re doing.”
As you can see, it can be easy to conquer the world with a pencil army. So what are you waiting for, build your own pencil army today. If you too could benefit from our broad range of collaboration services, such as our reservationless conferencing solutions, let Lighthouse Conferencing become your ally in battle. Call us today or request a free trial. We’re here to assist you with all of your online collaboration needs.
- Happy Holidays from Lighthouse Conferencing! - December 21, 2016
- Video or audio? Live or part-recorded? Time for a teleconference tune-up – IR Magazine - September 1, 2016
- How Does Lighthouse Conferencing Make Your Big Ideas Shine? - May 16, 2016
- The Secret to Big Ideas - May 12, 2016
- Why It’s Great that You Already Have a Conferencing Provider - May 4, 2016
- Why We Love to Hear That You Already Have Citrix GoToMeeting - May 4, 2016
- Building a Virtual Event is Like Building a House - April 11, 2016
- Team Collaboration: Reducing “Noise” in Your Company Inbox - April 4, 2016
- Tips for a successful earnings call - January 11, 2016
- Say Goodbye to Bad Meetings - January 8, 2016